Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Becoming grateful by teaching

Over the weekend I received two different pictures but with very similar themes. Two girls holding softballs, with huge grins on their faces. If you have ever played softball or been around someone that does, you know you/they usually get to keep home runs balls as a keep sake or proof of how awesome they are. I remember when I was younger I was always so excited to write all of the stats from the game on that ball. It is safe to say I still have all of those balls in a closet somewhere.  But somehow, the feeling I get from a picture from one of my girls hitting a home run compared to how I felt in that moment is so very different. When I was in that moment I was so excited that I hit a home run, that I accomplished something great.

But the moment that I get a text or a picture, not just of home runs, but of them doing well, I am excited, don't get me wrong, but I can't help but have an overwhelming feeling of gratefulness. Grateful for the opportunity I have to influence young girls to get better at their game. Grateful that they (both the parents and the girls) trust in me and what I teach. Grateful that they get to see all of their hard work pay off. Grateful for the time I have with each one of them to get to know them better. Grateful for the opportunity to help develop young athletes and give back the time that was so graciously given to me when I was younger. Moments of reflection like these make me realize just how lucky I was to have had those people in my life and how much they made me into the coach I am today. I suppose that those people that taught me felt pretty similar to how I feel today. I guess I can some it up in a couple of words. Grateful and proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment