Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Do something DIFFERENT!

Most people stick to what they know, either because they don't really want to try anything different, or because they just don't know what to do. I find that most people I talk to are "semi" motivated to work out, but don't because they don't know where to start. 

Joining a gym or just working out in general can be intimidating to most for a couple of reasons. 

One, you don't want to look ridiculous to all of the people that are in shape and "look" like they know what they are doing. Two, you lack personal motivation required to get and stay in a routine. Three, you put it off thinking that you will go tomorrow, which turns into "Monday, I'll start." "Next month I will really hit it hard" and "My new years resolution is definitely going to be focused on getting into better shape." Four, it's change, and most people don't like that. 

There are a couple of options that you have. 
  1. Stay with what you are doing and how you are doing it. 
  2. Decide that you want to try something different and walk away from your comfort zone, even if just for a little bit. 
If you decide that #2 is an option for you there are a couple of different ways you can help yourself get over the initial shock of starting something new. 
  1. Find a friend to do it with - usually with fitness or diet, having someone as an accountability partner works wonders. 
  2. Find a class at a gym that others look like they are having fun doing and TRY IT. YES, it will be nerve racking walking into a class where you don't know hardly anyone. YES, you will feel awkward doing things you haven't done before. AND YES, after going a few times you will eventually get comfortable! But, you have to take the first step. Everyone in that class has taken that step at some point, and knows exactly how you feel! (I remember how absolutely dumb I felt the first time I took a TurboKick class, but I am happy that I did (awkward punches and all.) Otherwise, I wouldn't be teaching classes like I am today! (Pssst... you will make a lot of great friends, who are  committed to the same things you are! -  i.e. MORE MOTIVATION.) 
  3. Hire a trainer, they will for sure motivate you! (But it might cost you a pretty penny)
Whatever seems like the best option, pick it, commit to it, and give it a chance

GO BEFORE YOU'RE READY! 

Speaking of different, I posted about TRX last week and found this great article about how different is GOOD. Check it! 

TRX adds a little suspense to a humdrum exercise routine



No comments:

Post a Comment